Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Multiple Myeloma Blog

Multiple Myeloma Blog


Gift Suggestions For A Newly Diagnosed Multiple Myeloma Patient

Posted: 29 Aug 2011 05:56 AM PDT

Last week I recieved this email from a reader with an interesting question:

Hello,
My boyfriends step dad was diagnosed about 9 months ago.  They are on they way actually to UCSF to harvest his cells this week. It's been a very emotional experience for the whole family.

Anyways, I am in the process of putting my Christmas lists together, (I know can you believe it's around the corner?!) and the things I had planned to give him would probably not suit his lifestyle as of now or probably never again. (The usual bottle of hard alcohol, cigars and rum filled fruitcake prob wouldn't cut it)...so I'm kind of at a loss for gift giving ideas. What would someone having multiple myeloma love to have?

I have read a few of your posts and I'm sorry if you've already covered this subject in your blog, but I would like to know what would be a helpful and thoughtful gift. I'm sure there are lots of people who would like to help but don't really know how and would like some insight to gifts that may be more appropriate.

Thank you and I'm really glad I found your blog. My thoughts and prayers are with you and all the multiple myeloma patients.
-Annika

Myeloma related gifts?   That is something I hadn't given much thought to in the past.  Annika and I exchanged several emails about this.  I learned her boyfriend's name is Ryan, and her stepfather's name is Ben.  But I'm afraid I wasn't able to find her a very good source for multiple myeloma related gifts.

The MMRF has an online gift store.  Here is a LINK to that site.  I also found a few other online options... 

Cafe Press featured a large selection of shirts, with a few mugs and journals tossed-in.  But most seemed a bit feminine to me.  LINK.

Like the MMRF, the IMF also features a few myeloma related items.  LINK.

My Help With Cancer Bookstore has a gift category built-in.  But I have just never taken the time to fill it with fun, thoughtful gift options, so no luck there.  I had better add that to my to-do list!

How about something more abstract and spiritual?  A good friend and multiple myeloma caregiver, Lori Puente, addressed this in a recent post on her Riding The Wave blog:
"...For those of you newly on this Myeloma road, I pray with all my heart that you successfully negotiate your treatment, come out the other side and find yourself looking at all the wonderful people you have met along the way and perhaps you will be able to arrive where your viewpoint of life includes many extraordinary gifts..."

Here is a LINK back to Lori's blog post, entitled Life's Challenges - Gifts?  Really?  Emmmmm...

My suggestion to Annika:

By the way, just because he has multiple myeloma doesn't mean he can't enjoy some of the more traditional "finer things in life" once everything settles down.  A drink or two or a few cigars most likely didn't cause his cancer...

I don't know.  I think Lori is on the right track.  Sounds like Ben is surrounded by a blended, caring family.  I know if it were me, just spending time with my family--knowing how much they cared and loved me--would be gift enough.

Feel good and keep smiling!  Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment